As far as smart dressers go, they don’t come chicer than the distinct style of Lauren Hutton. This beauty’s go-to look is inspired by the masculine aesthetic yet remains elegant and soft. Well-known for her series of suit jackets and flats you will never find overly tailored cuts, everything skims and sweeps the body, often finished with a nip at the waist. Once famed for taking her clothes off, it’s Laurens effortless fashion sense that has cemented her as a style star in our eyes. Here are the reasons why…
- One simple button. This is a style rule all must follow – if you’re wearing a single-breasted blazer you either wear it open or only ever do up the middle button. Like Lauren, this gives the slightest of shape without being too flared. Remember to get the blazer well fitted in the shoulders but not the waistline if you can.
- This screen siren sticks to a narrow colour palette of mostly neutrals and will even wear the same colour top-to-toe at times. She doesn’t often wear a collared shirt with her two-piece outfits, her neat t-shirts bring the casual element into an otherwise corporate look. And not to mention the occasional trainer!
- HATS: We have no idea how but she can even make a bucket hat look chic! I guess we can just put this one down to the model-Midas touch – wearing clothing for a living is usually due to the fact you can pull anything off! Lauren also looks very put together in a classic fedora hat worn with a tonal overcoat – the long dress and on-trend ankle boots give just the right amount of feminity.
- Fabrics are something that the American Gigolo actress takes note of, especially a touch of silk on occasion. Understanding the balance that a mix of materials can bring to another otherwise-simple outfit is key to some of Laurens looks.
- Sticking to simple is best – Lauren will opt for a basic drape style for her scarves. Nothing tricky or over the top fancy, just wearable, understated and chic- Hutton style 101.
- Colour does play an occasional role in Laurens wardrobe. Typically in the form of a bright accessory or a strategic sweater placed over the shoulder. Strong primary colours make the perfect refreshing break from neutrals.
- Lastly, the belt! Big requires balance and a wrap style obi belt can bring the final touch to a beautiful outfit. Try it over unconventional items like your jacket or cardigan if you are feeling too boxy and you might be pleasantly surprised by the ways you can wear a wrap belt.
A summary of the long-lasting style of Lauren Hutton? Keep it simple. if there was a hall of fame for fashion longevity, Lauren Hutton would be the first inductee!
MORE STORIES FROM SMART. CASUAL. CLASSIC: